Clowning in the classroom



Some clowns are not fulltime performers. They have other jobs as well. These other jobs may influence their clowning, their clowning may influence their job. I talked with clowns Tobias Tambornino and Florian Thelen, who are both teachers in public schools in Germany. Tobi teaches arts and philosophy, Flo teaches German as a foreign language and politics. Next to these challenging jobs they managed to find the time and energy to create clownnumbers, form a clown group* and organize a four day clown festival with the name ‘Flop.’ in Cologne, Germany, that took place for the first time last November.



In their dinosaur number professor Toby parodies the role of the teacher who is more interested in himself than in his subject of teaching and is the only one in the room who thinks he knows what he’s talking about. His assistant Flea translates everything he says to German either a bit too correct, or while having his own thoughts about the content of what he is translating. The assistant is a bit more clever than the professor. The dinosaur, performed by Noelle Kuhlmey, is more clever than both of them together. When she lets that show, she is been punished though, as no one is ever allowed to be smarter than the teacher, ofcourse...



‘I am a teacher’, says Tobi, ‘but actually I’m a clown pretending to be a teacher. And that’s a good thing, important even, as it’s a way of telling the kids that I know that what I’m doing is actually stupid.’ ‘I am a clown who would like to be a teacher’, says Flo, ‘or a teacher who would like to be clown.’ This then raises the question what or who is a clown? Tobi says he sees clown as a function, that is fluid and could be taken over by anyone, an audience member, a child in the classroom (the class clown) or indeed the person who has done clown training. He says he would never self-identify as clown without an audience. ‘In order for clowning to occur we need: public, norms, making mistakes and laughter. Because all these things also exist in the classroom, clowning can happen there too. You can either realize the instituion ‘teacher’ or parody it. Both can cause laughter. But in the classroom the stage is everywere and everyone can take over the function of the clown, which can lead to chaos.’



As Flo had also mentioned chaos in the classroom, I asked them what they do when this happens. Tobi answers me: ‘Once you start clowning it’s hard to stop, but when I continue the lesson in a normal fashion often they calm down after a while. Or I become silent and just observe them interestedly for a while, waiting untill they ask me what I am waiting for. Sometimes I also start counting, as a reference to the counting they know (I want you to be silent in 1….2...3, otherwise there will be a punishment…) When they ask me confused what I’m counting, I answer them I’m counting my money, as I am getting paid anyway, whether I start shouting at them or not. I never shout at them or tell them off. Much to my regret they’ve always wanted to continue working then, they never let me get away with earning money without working for it.’



Flo explains to me that, for him, the chaos is often the result of the fact that there are so many things happening at the same time in the classroom and he’s only able to do one thing at a time. He then tries to master this chaos by improvising, which actually makes it worse. ‘I often feel completely overwhelmed but because I’m transparent and open about it, it becomes funny. It is then like a performance that arises in the dynamics with the audience. My students love it when I spread myself too thin or make a mistake. I do that openly, like a clown, admitting my failure. That’s very liberating to the students. This way they see that their teacher is also just a human being, who makes mistakes and that mistakes are normal in life.’ Tobi agrees: ‘Students experience a lot of pressure to be perfect, to always succeed, look great and wear the right clothes. Every form of weakness means to disappoint the expectation that has been put on them. The clown-trained person really helps in this situation, because clowning shows another possible way of living, which can also make you happy, or successful.’ Flo has noticed that when he puts clown energy into his teaching, using a lot of eye contact and body language, he gets that back from his students in return. He connects with them the same way as he does with the audience when performing. ‘Because of clowning, school becomes much easier and, I think, much nicer too…’



Comments