Hula-Clown, when skill and clowning merge


Giedrė Degutytė is a circus, clown and physical theatre performer, creator and researcher. She is a self-taught circus practitioner and did her Master studies ‘performance practice as research’ at the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama in London. She performs in London each 3rd Friday of the month in Friday Flop, a clownshow with various numbers led by Jon Davison. During her research she read and explored boredom as the critical context of her hula hoop practice and only one month before her graduation she decided to focus on clowning. I met her during a clown workshop and spoke with her about her practice. She told me:

I remember in one of the clown classes we did an exercise in which we had to say how we feel and I realised that most of the time I am bored. How stupid of me, I've never thought that boredom occupied such a big part of my life, although I could trace its presence since I was a child. At some point during my MA however I realised that actually I am not bored anymore and that I’ll have to fake my research. But clowning offers pretence as a tool, so I pretend in my graduation piece that I am bored, while I am not anymore, but I used to be and maybe I still do sometimes, but it goes away very quickly.’

Giedrė, to me, has a very interesting and pleasant performing style. Often, in performances of people who have skills, they alternate between 'now I am doing something funny' and 'now I show a skill' so the audience goes from; 'ah cute, s/he's one of us' to 'wow, impressive, I could never do that'. With her, skill and clowning merge. It’s elegant and playful at the same time. When she is hula hooping I still relate to the playful way she does it although I know I could never do that skill. It’s the fact that she is 'doing the skill in a stupid way' that makes it interesting to me.

I think with her quest for a way out of the boredom of skill, that led her to clowning, she also found a way out for the audience that is bored of seeing someone perform ‘trick after trick, after trick, after trick’ without being able to relate to it.

Comments